Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Qing Ming Jie

Everytime when I think about this “festival”(well, personally I don’t take it as a festive period meant to be celebrated happily), I can’t help myself but to recite the following poem made famous by 杜牧.

清明时节雨纷纷,
路上行人欲断魂,
借问酒家何处有,
牧童遥指杏花村

5th April 2007, tomorrow will be the day when we remember and honour our ancestors. It is not necessary to pray and give offering on the actual day itself. It is common for people to perform the rites 7 day before and after the actual date.

Last Saturday marked the first time I carried out the rites by myself and my wife. This year, I have opted for something different as well, instead of going to the crematory where my father’s bone ashes were kept, I have gone to the Kwan Yin temple where the ancestor’s plate has been placed.

It was a more personal and quiet experience, and undoubtful a more welcomed one. How often do you remember your deceased family members? I feel particularly ashamed of myself, as father has always been left at the back of my head, washed away by the daily hassle of living and present problems.

It is a struggle some times, trying to recall his image or his voice. The serenity of the temple, the continuos chanting of prayers, has given me the opportunity to actually sit back quietly and remember him.

Cherish those whom you loved, count the days when you appreciate them.

No comments: