Monday, February 26, 2007

Taxi… hello Taxi?? – Part One

I’ve never really taken taxi in Malaysia and after my most recent experience with them, I will pretty much avoid them in the future.

On the third day of the Lunar New Year, I was travelling back to KL from Penang. I’ve reached the Jln. Duta bus station and wanted to continue my journey to either KL Sentral or Puduraya. To my surprise, there’s no longer any feeder bus servicing the Duta station to other locations and due to its “unique” location in the city, we’re pretty much sitting ducks to the preying taxis lining up the station.

To side track a bit, the authorities tried hard to alleviated the traffic congestion in Puduraya by relocating the northern bus services to the Duta station, however they’ve only brought the buses here, without the connecting public transport infrasturucture. Trying to get to Duta station pretty much cost me as much as a bus ticket to Penang. Standard half-boiled implementation and short-sightedness of our local authorities.

Anyway, I was greeted with the usual “pick-up” line from the taxi drivers –

Driver : “Bang, mau pegi mana?”
Me : “KL Sentral, berapa?”
Driver : “ RM 12”
Me : “Oii, mahalnya..”
*Silence followed for 5 seconds*
Driver : “Ok ok…. kita pakai meter”


Without any other alternatives, I hesitantly agreed and hopped on the taxi. Few minutes later, we’ve reached KL Sentral with the fare meter showing RM5.40. I was laughing to myself, there you go… RM5.40 only. Who knows……

Driver : “RM7.40..”
Me : “Huh?? Meter tunjuk RM5.40 sahaja?”
Driver : “Naik dari Duta ada RM2 surcharge.”
Me: “Tadi tak ada cakap pun”
Driver : “Ini standard la, u tak tau ke?”


Exhausted from my travelling, I just don’t feel like arguing with him and paid the RM7.40. I’ve later checked the supposed “RM2.00” surcharge claim and found out that it’s untrue!!

To be continued….

No comments: