Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thaipusam – 1st Feb 2007

Excerpt from wikipedia - * Thaipusam (Tamil: தைப்பூசம்) is a Hindu festival celebrated mostly by the Tamil community on the full moon in the Tamil month of Thai (Jan/Feb). Pusam refers to a star that is at its highest point during the festival. The festival commemorates both the birthday of Lord Murugan (also Subramaniam), the youngest son of Shiva and Parvati, and the occasion when Parvati gave Murugan a vel (lance) so he could vanquish the evil demon Soorapadman.*

To those interested to read more, please go here.

For the record, I have not been paying any attention to this festival that is celebrated by our Tamil friends and the only thing I know is that they smashed thousands of coconuts on the day during the procession to the temple of Batu Caves.

I do celebrate the public holiday that comes along with the festival. It’s a rare break that I will get in the middle of the week. However, those that know me well will know that I am not too happy as I am paid daily. More holidays = Less salary >:/

Talking bout holidays, CNY is around the corner… 2 more public holidays in February.. now where’s that calculator of mine…

No comments: